Poor Man's Pizza - Or the Hackiest One Since Sandra Lee


The week that I was sick, we kind of skipped over the whole "grocery shopping" thing. By the time I was feeling better, our fridge contents were in sad shape.

In a desperate attempt to make something for lunch that Little L would actually eat, I threw together what we had for a make-shift pizza: flour tortillas (from soft tacos), canned pizza sauce that had been in my cupboard for a couple of months, shredded cheese (we had Kraft Tex-Mex on hand), and some sliced PC Free-From Pepperellos. With my 2.5 year-old sous chef at my side, we assembled the personal pizzas and then I baked them for 6 minutes at 400'F.


Surprised I was by my not-so-masterful creation. The little pizzas were actually pretty tasty! The crust had crisped from the heat, the cheese had melted and browned in a gooey way, and the pepperellos were toasted just enough for the edges to be crisp. Little L, being the pickiest of us all, gave it her seal of approval by eating all of the topping and even some of the crust (a feat I have never seen her do with any other pizza).


Since that day last week, I've seriously made these hackneyed thin crust pizzas 3 times. Hubbs has tried them too, and now actually prefers them to ordering delivery from his former favourite thin-crust joint.  I'm not saying that this is gourmet food by any stretch of the imagination, but when you want something fast, cheap and easy (and that a little toddler can assist with), I would sooner make this than heat up another frozen McCain's pizza.

So, here's the oh-so-difficult recipe again:

Flour tortillas (I used Old El Paso Soft Flour Tortillas in a medium size)

Traditional pizza sauce (I used Primo Traditional Pizza Sauce)

Shredded cheese, preferably a mixed one (I used Kraft Tex-Mex and Double-Cheddar)

Toppings of choice (I just used sliced deli pepperoni and hormone-free bacon)

1) Preheat oven to 400'F
2) Line baking sheet with foil (in case the cheese spills over and melts into your oven floor)
3) Assemble "pizza" (sauce, then cheese, then toppings)
4) Bake for 6 minutes
5) Be a little bit surprised that it tastes pretty good!

I know you might be judging me for even calling this food right now, but if you already buy frozen pizzas, then this really isn't any worse than that. It's affordable, yummy (without being too carb-heavy), and popular with my loquacious family. You should give it a try and let me know what you think (Miss Bee the nanny approves!).

What other food hacks do you make? Please share your easy-peasy recipes too!

Comments

Popular Posts