This is New - Sleep Switch


So, um, remember how Little L was going to bed after midnight and getting up at 10:00? How this happened seemingly randomly and left me scrambling for new mealtime schedules? And how I haven't had an early morning in months?

Well, the thing about child-led approaches to sleep is that you let the kid take the lead. And, well, kids aren't predictable.

Case in point: yesterday my darling Little L got up at 10:00am after going to bed the previous night at 1:00 am. Then she proceeded not to nap at all. I thought for sure I was in for it at 5:00, and that she'd nap sometime after that, guaranteeing me another late bedtime. Nope. 5:00 came and went. Then 6:00. Then 7:00. After being awake for like 10 hours straight, Little L finally crashed at 8:00 pm. And slept through the night!

She got up this morning at 6:00 am, and I played dead for about 30 minutes before she started talking to wake me up. She napped at 11:00am for 2 hours, and then went to bed for good at 7:45 pm.

Awesome! I thought I was on the road to having to stage an intervention to get her to slumber during normal toddler hours, but she surprised me with this very out-of-the-blue gift. The best part of all is that she did it all by herself, so there was no coercion involved, no shifting of bedtimes and wake-ups by 15 minute increments over weeks of time. 

I love this new turn of events, though I don't expect it to last since we are flying back to Edmonton at the end of the month and it will likely wreak havoc on her schedule again. Until then, however, I'm gonna enjoy my newly-freed evenings!


Comments

Popular Posts