If The Shoe Fits...


...buy two pairs.  That's my motto when it comes to Little L and footwear.  It's because good shoes are hard to find (but you probably already know that), especially for kids who have thick or sensitive feet.

Little L has long toes and somewhat wide feet.  She's currently wearing size 6/22 and although she has a bit of space in front of her big toe, the width is just right in this size.

And even though she loves her shoes, she has a tendency to kick one off somewhere along the way during a lengthy stroll around the seawall.  What that means is that, without a spare pair, she will have to go barefoot once that first shoe goes AWOL.  Which has happened.  More than once.

Now that Little L is a walker, I'm a bit picky about the shoes on her feet.  I want ergonomically-correct shoes that will support her posture as she develops her stride.  I'm not sure which brands out there are good for that besides Pedipeds, so that has been the brand of choice in our household.

These are not inexpensive shoes, either (think $50, +/- $10), although if you can catch an online sale, you can get a proper pair for as low as half price.  We try to buy the on-sale styles, although sometimes we need the shoes before they get marked down, so we will pay full price in those cases.

Currently, Little L has 6 pairs: one leather-soled early-walker shoe (that she has outgrown), two pairs of Flex sandals (which despite adjustable velcro closures, do not fit her thick feet well), one pair of washable water-friendly Mary-Janes, and two pairs of regular Grip n' Go Mary-Janes.  She also has one widowed shoe.

Previously, I have also tried Tip Toey Joey shoes, which Little L *loved.* Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find those shoes in a larger size, plus I haven't found much information about how well they support new walkers.  We bought her a pair of Stonz rubber boots as well, although she hasn't actually tested them out in rain puddles yet.  I'm a bit hesitant to let her loose in a puddle, especially since she has shunned the boot inserts that double as socks for her feet.  I am quite concerned that she will literally have cold feet, even in socks, if she wears these boots into a pool of standing water.  She also owns a pair of size 6/7 Crocs that are way too big for her right now.

I have heard of See Kai Run but have yet to give them a go.  Are these pricey shoes any good? I really do not know.
I've also come across Toms for kids, but they seem really flat.  No arch support under the foot? I'm not cool with that.
Wide-footed kids all swear by Stride Rite's cushioned shoes. I'm probably buying a pair, but which style should I choose?
And what about those furry Uggs? I've seen some kids wear those, but I'm too cheap to buy a pair, considering how quick she grows!
Is there a brand or line of kiddie shoes that you would recommend?  I'd gladly take suggestions, my online mommy friends :)
And I've been reading too much Seuss; this entire paragraph rhymes. That's what happens when you One Fish, Two Fish a hundred billion times.


Add caption

Comments

mazoola said…
i honestly love saltwater sandals! you can be matchy matchy with Little L too! http://www.saltwatersandals.ca/
Unknown said…
Your daughter has more shoes than me. Waaaa!!! ;)

For my kids I always bought them Robeez when they were toddling. Plus they always stayed on and in 5 years I've never lost a random shoe.

I also get them either a true Native shoe or a similar knock off. Great for those moments when I allow them to jump in the water fountains or at the beach. However, I recently bought a brand new pair of Natives and lost them at a hotel pool the first day we wore them. UGH!!!
Mrs. Loquacious said…
@Mazoola - Somehow I *knew* you'd say that! I have looked at them, but am wary because of my wide feet that need a LOT of support. Are they good for arched feet?

@Andrea - I like the Robeez but the elastics were cutting into Little L's foot (she really is that chubby).
I've never heard of true Native but I will look into those!! Thanks! :)

Kitten said…
My daughter, who I believe is 2 weeks younger than yours has mini-feet. She doesn't fit into size 3 shoes yet, so we're still mostly in Robeez.
mazoola said…
they're made for wide feet (i have wide feet). they're leather and will stretch too. i ordered 7w/youth5 ..and i am a size 7, true to size. as for arch support, after long walks with crappy shoes i always got the sharp stabs of pain on my arch ..but never with these (plus added baby weight). maybe worth a try? if you order at the USA website, they come to about $44 shipping inc. they're a company that's about 50 years old, enough to convince me it was worth a try.
Mrs. Loquacious said…
@Kitten - I am a large-footed short woman (think Hobbit) so it's little wonder my kid also has canoes for feet. ;)

@Mazoola - see above comment! ;) I will give it a go but I know that my sizing tends to range, so I'm not sure what my "true size" should be. :S

Popular Posts