NSFM

Because I love this kid!

Not Safe For Me!
Some things that have changed for me, post-Baby L, are surprising.  One of these changes concerns my choice of TV shows.

Pre-baby, I was totally a crime show buff.  My faves were C.S.I.:Vegas, Law & Order: SVU, Criminal Minds... notice a theme? Gory and graphic, dealing with the worst in human depravity and deviance - those were my thing (much to Hubbs' dismay!).  As a kid growing up, I was an avid non-fiction reader of true crime stories, and as an adult I was intrigued (sort of like a voyeur) by the sicknesses that can plague the mind.  I guess that's why I studied psychology, and also why I jumped at the opportunity to work in a federal parole office with sex offenders during my internship. 

But, like, something happened when Baby L was born.  A part of me that I didn't know existed sprung to life like a momma bear protecting her cubs, and simultaneously a part of me that is equal parts fascinated/repulsed by the stuff in these shows just sort of died.

And now I can no longer watch these shows.  Period.

I tried, too.  I DVR'ed all of them with big plans to view once Baby L was in bed.  But seriously, I found myself reading the synopses first, and then deleting episode after episode because I simply could not go there mentally.  Not as a person, and definitely not as a mother.  Especially with episodes that deal with kids being hurt - those are the worst.  But even ones that only involve adults now disturb me beyond comprehension, and I have lost all appetite and interest in following these shows.

This isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing; it's just a very surprising thing for me.

The silver lining is that, aside from these crime shows (and Vampire Diaries), I really wasn't watching a whole lot of TV pre-Baby L.  Now, I'm down to one show that happens once a week, and that's probably a good thing, since too much TV is never that good for me anyway.  More time to sleep! :P

 

Comments

Justice~! said…
Nah, it's a good thing. :)

-Hubbs

Popular Posts