Unsafe


(Okay, so you get to hear Baby L's name in this vid..she's still Baby L on the blog)


I have discovered that my home is unsafe.  For Baby L, that is.  Every corner of every wall is a potential head injury when she crawls and decides to take a seat right beside the edge where the two malls meet.  Every square inch of floor space not covered by a rug or foam square is an invitation for a bump on the head or a face plant.  Every dangling cord, a strangling hazard.  The drawers, the door hinges, the random bits of dust and lint I didn't get a chance to clear off the floor, the wheels on her stroller, our filthy shoes in the hall...and the list just goes on and on.

Enough that I could really die of worry if I chose to.

But ever so vigilantly, I follow her around like a shadow, ready to dive, ready to swoop in and pick up and cover over with my hand and distract.  I don't want to limit her mobility or her curiosity, both of which abound in this active little 8-month-old.  Her eyes widen with delight and wonder at the world around her, and the things that seem so insignificant to me that I don't even notice them anymore are completely mesmerizing to her.

It's beautiful to see that much wonder.  It's also scary when I'm trying to keep her alive and healthy.

I have no answers.  I'm thinking of hiring someone to come in and "baby-proof" our entire place, because I don't want to do it on my limited expertise and risk missing something big.  I'm also thinking maybe she should wear knee pads, a helmet, and a mouth guard when she goes exploring (kidding, sort of).

What do you do to keep your kids safe without limiting them? 

Comments

Popular Posts