Seasons

We love looking at ourselves on the iPhone ;)
I don't remember:
... the last time I had a fruity, delicious alcoholic beverage.
... the last time I got to sleep in all day and snuggle with Hubbs.
... the last time I tasted foie gras.
... the last time I had a date night that lasted into the wee hours of the morning.
... the last time I went dancing.
... the last time I went on a marathon shopping spree.
... the last time I had loud, wake-the-neighbourhood sex.
... the last time Hubbs and I saw a movie at a theatre together.
... the last time I walked the entire seawall at Stanley Park.
... the last time I lounged in a bubble bath, pouring over a magazine for hours.
... the last time I enjoyed a soak in a hot tub.
... the last time I could go out with friends, or on my own, for hours and hours without having to take care of anyone

The Bible says that there is a season for everything under the sun, and it so happens that I am in a season of life where most of these things simply aren't possible right now.  Although I do get a bit wistful at times, I know that Baby Loquacious will only be young once, and there will be a season when I won't remember these last times:

- the last time that my breasts nourished and comforted my baby
- the last time when I felt unconditionally loved and needed by another human being
- the last time I had a set of little arms clinging to me for a hundred different reasons
- the last time my baby laughed unabashedly at her reflection in the mirror
- the last time we slept together for a nap
- the last time I kissed my darling girl's little feet
- the last time I got to push my little girl around in a stroller or wear her in my carrier
- the last time she reached her arms high in the air to request being picked up and held
- the last time we shared a quiet morning together without distraction

So I try to cherish each moment, for they are fleeting.  I don't dare to think too far ahead nor too far back in time for fear of missing right now, and I try to remind myself to breathe deeply the scent of her hair, to memorize every beautiful little feature of her face and her chubby hands and feet, and to count my blessings.

For this all, too, shall pass, and I don't want to miss a thing.


Comments

Popular Posts