Didn't

During my labour, I was so busy focusing on what was going wrong and not happening according to my birth plan that I didn't get much of a chance to think about what was going right with the birth.  This came to mind the other day when my mom was reading an email about a Pastor So from HK whose son lost his wife during childbirth, and whose baby was in critical condition for a while following birth. 

It made me think of all of the things that didn't happen to us, but could have.  These are all reasons to give thanks to my gracious God.

I didn't die from an amniotic fluid embolism or some other freaky rare condition.
Baby L didn't die.
I didn't have any perineal tearing.
I didn't have super bad side effects from the epidural.
Baby L didn't have any ill effects from the interventions.
Baby L didn't have any freaky health conditions or Down's syndrome.
I didn't feel the "ring of fire" that is supposed to be brutally painful.
I didn't get laid up for 6 full weeks trying to recover from a C-section.
I didn't get constipated.
I didn't get an infection on my Caesarian scar.
I didn't have a baby who refused to latch.
I didn't have a chronic colicky crying baby.
I didn't have to go through labour alone.
We didn't have to stay in a semi-private room with other people.
We didn't get rushed to be discharged due to lack of hospital space.
I didn't get medical attention from inept docs with their own agendas.
I didn't get forced into any medical interventions.
I didn't get banned from bringing in my own flowers and candles and signs and music.
I didn't get caught when I ate half a burger after I was assigned into the delivery room.

The list could go on, but you get the picture, right? I am so blessed.  Thank You Jesus.



Comments

~Rain``` said…
Both of you are beautiful and yes, you are so blessed!
Sharon said…
Amen! Those were our thoughts.

Popular Posts