Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Oh, there are so many metaphors to describe what is happening with my hair!  It's a mass hair exodus, it's a coup d'étete (pun intended) , a hair harvest ... you get the picture.  My hair is falling out in more than just handfuls.

AND IT CAN LAST UP TO A YEAR.

Great.  I already find myself taking extra long showers to round up the hairshed and keep from plugging up the drain (thereby necessitating a costly and visually-disturbing visit from a plumber).  Now I've got to do it for a year!?!

And get this - sometimes weaning leads to further hair loss.

WHAT?

Yet another compelling argument to breastfeed for a long time.  Kidding! (Actually, and as a total aside, here is a great parent resource called Parenting Myths and Facts that debunks some myths about parenting, and reviews the literature fairly and thoroughly).

To counteract this hairrowing (pun intended) situation, I've turned to Kevin Murphy and his thickening lotion and powder puff hair products to volumize my ever-flattening hair.   For now I can still hold on to that last shred of vanity, at least until even the hair products can no longer mask my balding patches. Hopefully by then the hair will have decided that my scalp is indeed a good place to establish roots and grow ;)

Comments

Your hair looks fabulous! Mine is the same length and coming out in handfulls too! It's so bad my poor son has had my hair wrapped around every body part. I'm wondering if I need to just cut it off until it stops shedding? I'm fine with nursing forever if it keeps my last few lock in place!
Mrs. Loquacious said…
Thanks :) it is the illusion of fullness created by a lot of product and many layers! Don't cut your hair though!! It is my pet peeve to see new mommas all hacking their hair off, and if your man is anything like Hubbs then he won't be happy about it either! ;). This too shall pass (so I keep telling myself)!
~Rain``` said…
I remember kind of being in shock when it all happened the first time. One of those things people failed to tell me about the post-partum stage. Yes, it will pass...
Jel said…
Your hair still looks good!
Mine's back to falling out at it's usual rate - i lose a ton but it grows very fast so the ends are pretty thin. While i was pregnant it stopped falling out... was great!
Bub is not up to grasping things deliberately yet, but somehow still manages to get hold of a lock of hair each time i'm feeding or lifting him - ow. I've taken to tying it back before each feed!

Popular Posts