Best Practices (aka Getting Custom Sheets Made for Baby)


Hubbs and I have been attending a lot of baby classes lately, during which time we learned about some shifts in "best practices" that have come about in the last couple of years. Some lessons of note regarding baby sleep are as follows:

* swaddling is not recommended, especially during sleep and if the baby's arms are obscured
* comforters and crib bumpers are no-nos (increasing the chance of SIDS)
* soft mattresses also increase the chance of SIDS
* it's good to have the baby sleeping in the same room as you for the first couple of months

Excellent. Armed with this knowledge, we set out in search of a crib, and found one that was sized just right for our humble little place (and limited bedroom space). Unfortunately, this wonderful crib and mattress set didn't come with sheets and the only bedding (read: fitted sheets) that would fit the mattress would have to be purchased as part of a larger set containing a crib bumper and a comforter.

Well, what use is that to me when it's not best practice for me to be using these other components of the kit? Why couldn't I just buy the sheets?

No, the salesperson replied, we just don't see them separately. She then suggested that I buy regular-sized fitted sheets and simply tuck them in tight when I make baby's bed. 

Given all these warnings we've been hearing about cautioning against loose fabrics in the crib, why on earth would I do that?!?

So it is with great joy that I discovered at the One of a Kind craft show today that there is actually a local private retailer (http://littlemoso.com/) who will make *custom-fitted* organic cotton/bamboo sheets for our crib! I was seriously elated. Plus, the owner was awesome; when I picked up a bamboo/organic cotton velour sleeper for my bambino, she also threw in a set of washcloths (organic cotton, value $12) for *free* just because she's a great lady :)

Now I don't have to compromise on "best practices" *and* I get sheets that are actually organic cotton and bamboo (which is what I was looking for in the first place).

Things like this make my heart so happy. Simple minds, simple pleasures, n'est-ce pas?

Comments

Popular Posts