How Does Your Weed Garden Grow?


I've said it before, and it bears repeating: I cannot keep anything (save for Little L) alive. My history is littered with pet fish corpses, shriveled and/or drowned houseplants, and a few other ill-fated pets (read: chicks).

So good am I at killing living things that I am optimistic that my superpowers will extend to the elimination of the thistles in our front, uneven patio-bricked area. My weapon of choice (besides me)? Boiling hot water. No chemicals, no toxic elements, just plain old H2O. And so far, so good. As I was pouring, you could literally watch the prickly leaves cowering into a cooked pile of inedible greens. Even though I'm not a psychopath, I have to say that it was really really satisfying to watch the weeds wither.

After I let them sit for the night, I went out to pull them out. With gardening gloves. Those prickly little buggers, while dried to a dull crunchy orange, still managed to pierce through my hand armour and give me a good vengeful poke. I decided not to chance it further with my hands, and grabbed some kitchen tongs to extract the leaves.

Sadly, the roots didn't seem to come out as easily as I had hoped. There is therefore no real way to know if the scalding water did its job or not. It has been almost a week since I Chinese water tortured that plant (yes, I am misappropriating that term because frankly, my definition is better). Only time will tell if I need something more potent. I certainly hope not, but I'm prepared to go into chemical warfare territory if need be. This is war. There must not be any survivors!




Comments

Anonymous said…
You can do it! Keep trying! It's so satisfying when you do. Haha, I thought your title was about marijuana at first. Probably because I live in Nelson, ha.
Mrs. Loquacious said…
I am actually going to try planting flowers again. I did pot some marigolds but they're really not thriving :/ Dang black thumb!!!

Popular Posts