The Worst Seller in the City


So I belong to a local FB baby buy/sell/trade group. I've used it along with our city's CL to try to sell some of the stuff Little L has outgrown. We have sold her travel crib, Orbit system, and a few other things this way.


I have to admit, I'm probably a terrible salesperson. I might even be the worst. When I set a price on one of our items, I don't usually budge or negotiate. I deliberate what I believe is a good, fair price for the baby gear, and I hold firm to those numbers when a potential buyer tries to whittle it down. While I don't consider myself to be particularly attached to these things (I am getting rid of them, after all), I guess deep down I must cherish them somehow, because I am utterly unwilling to lower my price to benefit others. Just today I turned down a $15 offer for our $35 really great condition leather Pediped boots.

In fact, I'm so against bargaining that I would rather give these same items away for zero profit (yes, free!) to Baby Go Round (a by-referral non-profit that distributes stuff to needy parents) than let someone try to buy it for less than what I deem it to be worth. We have probably given away a few hundred bucks of stuff at this point, and we don't even get a tax receipt. Does that make any sense? Not really, not even to me. And yet I just can't bring myself to be bargained down. It straight up feels wrong.

Maybe it's because I sometimes judge people on these groups, like the ones who attempt to sell *free* samples of formula, or those who try to unload things that really aren't worth anything, like weathered, filthy, moldy strollers. The other day I even read about a woman who, under the guise of "helping another expectant mom," was collecting free donations that she then turned around and sold online for her own gain. So dishonest and a horrible way of profiting from others' goodwill!

So maybe that's why I have a hard time with it. I dunno. Places like Baby Go Round have processes that vet people before they qualify to receive stuff, so I feel a bit more justified in giving to them; I know that these folks really are in need, and aren't just trying to "scam the system."

Am I the only weirdo out there like this? What do you do with your outgrown baby gear? What is your policy on bargaining, and what do you sell vs. give away? 




Comments

Popular Posts