Don't Wanna Turn It Around


Little L is 37 pounds. In Canada, regulations state that her awesome Clek Foonf and Fllo car seats can only remain in rear-facing mode until 40 pounds. In the U.S., the very same car seats are permitted to remain in RF mode until 50 pounds. While I don't understand why there is such a large gap between the two countries, I can say unequivocally that I am absolutely gutted about having to turn her around.

It's not a big deal, some of you are probably thinking. I would not have thought so either, except that I have learned over the last few years that RF is infinitely safer than FF.



Car Seats for the Littles: RF Car Seat Myths Busted

Safety Benefits of RF

Car Safety.Org on Rear-Facing

Rear-Facing for Best Protection


So yeah, I'm sick to my stomach with the thought that Little L will have to face forward. Thank God that we have a Foonf, though; at least its beast-mode structure is the best one I've see on the market for safety and peace of mind. However, I am jumpy because I've been in two collisions in the past 6 years, neither of which I was at fault for. Thankfully both were low-impact and did not cause me physical harm. I just hate the thought that despite my many attempts to keep Little L safe, I simply have no control when it comes to other drivers. I have no idea if we will one day be in a collision, and whether it will be a high impact hit. If so, would she suffer neck injuries because of her relatively giant cranium?

I know that many parents have already forward-faced their babies, far sooner than age 2 sometimes. Knowing what I know, I just feel a million times safer with Little L in RF mode. I may want to stop driving altogether when/if she has to start front-facing... at least until age 4. The anxiety of even turning her bloody car seat around might just kill me before that, though.

When did you switch your babies to FF? What made you decide to do so? Does this information change your mind about your decisions? 





Comments

Popular Posts