Sawbry Thief

We were away for a week, so most of the contents of our fridge ended up spoiling.  Because we had already finished off any edible items for dinner last night, we had to do a massive grocery shop today.

Little L was in a weird mood during the shopping trip, refusing to sit in her stroller and actually crying about it (which is rare - she doesn't often cry real tears).  We moved her into the cart in an attempt to keep her from a full-blown meltdown.  She calmed down almost immediately.

While I was looking through the baby aisles (in an attempt to add to my sippy cup collection), and not paying attention, someone managed to pry open the clamshell of strawberries immediately behind her little seat in the cart.  When my eyes returned to my darling little girl, she was already biting into a large, juicy strawberry, a look of delight in her eyes and strawberry juice dripping from between her fingers and the bottom of her chin.  As it turns out, she was crying in her stroller because she saw the container of strawberries in the cart and wanted to have one immediately. Huh.

Well, I wasn't about to pry the fruit from her hands and risk a massive tantrum; after all, we were going to buy the strawberries anyway.  However, I also didn't want her to keep thieving from the as-yet-not-paid-for container, so I had to relocate that clamshell of strawberries to a less accessible area of the cart.  Meanwhile, she ate the whole giant berry like a little apple, leaving only the leafy green stem (which she promptly threw down onto the ground like the litterbug that she is).

I knew that Little L has been into strawberries lately; she has been known to polish off 5 or 6 sizable ones, uncut, in a single sitting. In fact, she has been so into strawberries that she has learned how to say the word (although it sounds more like sawbry  than strawberry) to let us know what she wants.  What I didn't know, however, was that she would be willing to stealthily sneak them at the grocery store.  She's only one, for cryin' out loud! Who knew?!

Lesson learned.  Next time, I'm feeding her before I take her shopping.  And I'll be keeping edible items far away from her sticky little fingers.


Comments

Popular Posts