Love and Angry Birds

I love my parents, and I think they are adorable.  We got them an iPad for Christmas this year, and helped them set it all up this past week.  We helped them download Google Translate and a few other choice apps, including their favourite game - Angry Birds (with the Mighty Eagle).

For the first few days, my Dad was obsessed with the iPad and playing the game.  He would spend every spare minute swiping his fingers over the touch screen, cheering whenever he passed a level, and clapping his hands joyfully whenever he achieved three stars after many failed attempts.  He flew through the first game and its 3 stages and many levels, though I suspect he used the eagle more times than he probably should ;)

My mom, however, didn't begin to play until about two nights ago.  Perhaps out of curiosity, she sat down to try and work through the levels that Dad had already passed, and whenever she got stuck she'd ask him to show her how to do it.  Dad would sit patiently beside her, watching her and giving her tips on how to improve her shot.  When Mom got too frustrated, Dad would take a turn and try to help her pass the level (even though these were levels he'd already passed once, so the next was unlocked and really there was no reason that he had to play it again).  Then Mom would try again, and Dad would watch and offer her feedback and commentary.  So. Adorable.

I'm so glad that, in the midst of the waiting-for-baby and my many discomforts and general uselessness (I can't help with *anything* apparently), I can witness such sweet little moments like this between my parents.  It's not a big thing to share the iPad and play Angry Birds and encourage one another; it is not some grandiose gesture of romantic affection, but just a simple, sincere moment of loving kindness between two people who have already spent 37 years of life together and whose love made me, their firstborn.  It is so wonderful to think that, decades from now, Hubbs & I might also share some sweet intimate moments bonding over something as simple as a video game while we wait for our "little girl" to enter into a new chapter of her life.  What a lovely thought.


Comments

Popular Posts