My Favourite Things


A lot can happen in eight months.  You can start a new job, completely reorganize your home, get evicted, buy a new home ...  all the while, successfully hiding out from the 'Rona monster. 

But those are stories for another day.  Today's blog post is brought to you by my favourite ringtone, otherwise known as Rodgers and Hammerstein's song My Favourite Things.  Good things are meant to be shared, right? And know that when I rave at you, I'm not simultaneously padding my own pockets, because I don't get paid to endorse, and I'm not an affiliate of that major online shopping site that I've been far too frequently visiting these days.

The Original Reusable Paper Towels

I bought these reusable paper towels with the intention of using them in lieu of....well, paper towels... but after seeing how well they work and how little they retain the stink of anything, they have now replaced my Norwex cloths as the de facto dish cloth.  

I wipe down the gas stove with these towels, and also the dining table and the floor and counter spills.  Then I rinse clean and air dry.  They don't stink no matter where I put them, or what cleaning spray I use with them (including the bleach ones and the eco ones). They do kind of dry up, so I have to wet them again before the next use, but seriously - these little "paper towels" (there's nothing about them that's paper, really) are incredible.  You can also get 10 of them in a pack for about $14, which makes them ridiculously affordable at $1.40 per towel.  I've only used one so far, and it's still smelling like nothing and looking fine after about three weeks.  They are also dishwasher safe and washer-safe. 

Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer

I don't think I've used any small appliance more than this little countertop fryer.  It can dehydrate, broil, reheat, and cook up a rotisserie chicken, but yours truly pretty much uses it exclusively to make food crunchy.  And it does this, and well!  It works quickly, too, and I seriously think it's one of the most handy dandy appliances I've purchased in a long time (with the exception of my Nespresso machine). 

TaoTronics Light Therapy Lamp

The cloudy skies are no joke, especially while we're totally housebound in our attempt to hide from COVID.  We need our daily dose of "sunlight" to keep from getting SAD, so if the skies won't cooperate, we have to turn to technology.  I bought Hubbs one for his desk at work, and we have one in the living room.  While the light isn't usually meant to be left on all day, we do leave it on longer than most (at a farther distance than most), and it keeps our mood cheery and our dispositions relatively positive.  

We so love these therapy lamps that we have recommended it to all of our family and friends, and have probably boosted sales by at least 6 units. 

Danish Dough Whisk

I'm not much of a baker, so I don't even own a KitchenAid mixer, much less one with a dough hook.  Thus, when I wanted to make focaccia from scratch, I was in desperate need of a tool to help me prepare the dough without all of the clumpy ingredients sticking to the whisk wires.  Enter the Danish dough whisk, an inexpensive and surprisingly effective tool for mixing dough.  Its ingenious, slick design is flat enough that it doesn't get caught in my drawer, and sturdy enough to handle a sticky dough.  I seriously ditched all of my other whisks after I got this one.  I'm never going back!

I'm sure I have more on my list of faves, but these are among my top ones.  The older I get, the more I love functional things, and every one of these items is a solid return on investment.  

What were your favourite things in 2020?





Comments

Popular Posts