Moving Along



So we are officially moving! We will sign our lease in the next couple of days, but we were given the A-OK today.

Now is where things get tricky.

The last time I moved (interprovincially, no less) I was unemployed and had been preparing for the move for months.  It was an early fall move, and we had taken possession of our Van apartment two months prior to our actual moving date.  Inordinately costly? Yes, but the transition worked well because we could make a few trips into the city to do the paperwork prior to our physical relocation out here.  Also, I ended up with 2 months of lead time to get addresses changed and all that jazz.  I had friends and family assisting with the packing and labeling and so everything worked out quite seamlessly.

Juxtapose that with THIS move.  I'm a F/T momma with a fussy little Baby L.  We weren't planning to move until the summer so this is sort of spontaneously unexpected.  A spring move means unpredictable weather, and we are taking possession a month before we vacate our current home.  Costly? Even moreso than the last one, but we're hoping that the overlap gives us time to start trucking things over to the new abode.  However, due to sleeplessness and having only a month of lead time to get addresses switched, I'm in a bit of a panic.  I'm also lacking family in the city who can help me mind Baby L while I pack, and while I will be relying heavily on the gracious assistance of my friends, I don't think they will be able to commit to the sort of labour that my family and friends in E-town were able to offer.  Plus, we have twice (or maybe even three times) as much stuff as we used to own.

But we're getting a three bedroom with 300 extra square feet! I am delighted, and also a bit anxious and stressed.  Anyone interested in packing and moving and cleaning with us? :)



Comments

Jel said…
I just moved three hours away from home into country WA where my hubby is working. Had planned to move a week later but after the c section couldn't face being on my own with a new baby without hubby. Ended up getting my parents to help us pack and two workmates to help with moving heavy furniture.

My workmates were great about it, hubby has been a huge support and so has my dad, but mum grumbled the whole weekend. I think she thought she was there for baby gazing only, not helping me move.

I won't lie - it was very difficult, made worse by the fact that every appointment we need to attend for baby is still in the city, so a 6 hour round trip by car which means a day of work missed for hubs. I am considering paying the fee to get the post office to redirect mail here - i've done most of it but i'm sure i've missed some.

I hope your move is smoother than mine. I still don't know where most of my clothes are! Spent today in a tshirt and hoodie hoping no-one would come to the door. My advice is to pack an overnight bag of everything you will need and keep that with you during the move. Know where your phone and charger are as well as people will call to see how you're doing.

Popular Posts